Friday, April 16, 2010

You sure are smart

I hear that every once in a while but I know it's not true. I've come up with a way of making it seem like I know a lot while barely knowing much at all. Most people dedicate themselves to mastering one or two trades. They become experts in their related fields and tend to ignore most other unrelated fields. I am not an expert in any one field but I know a little about a lot of different subjects. Why did I become like this? I study anything that comes along that helps me understand jokes. I hate it when I watch TV and someone makes a reference that I don't get. Mind you that at this point that is very rare unless it's very obscure. A good example is watching Family Guy, some people watch it and understand 30-60% of the jokes while I tend to get 80-90% of them. That was always important to me growing up. I remember the first time I watched Clockwork Orange because I was watching a TV show that referenced it and thanks to that I now get it when ever people reference strapping someone in a chair and locking their eyes open. There are still occasional references that I miss but I try to take care of that after it happens. That's it... the whole reason that I read and desire to learn things... to not be left out on jokes.

But I always keep in mind that there are plenty of people out there that know more about any given subject than I do. I accept that and I learn from them. There is an old saying that I will paraphrase: An intelligent man knows that he knows everything, a wise man knows that he knows nothing. It's good to be sure and confident in yourself but a little modesty never hurt. People tend to respect a modest person that is sure of themselves as opposed to an arrogant person that falls flat.

No comments:

Post a Comment