Sunday, April 18, 2010

A Good Tip

The American culture is obsessed with proper tipping edicate. Are they supposed to tip 10%, 15% or 20%? I don't understand this new way of thinking at all. What is a tip? It was meant as a way of saying "great job, you did so well I want you to have this extra as an award". A mandatory tip is exactly the same as a mandatory donation. I know I know you tell me you feel obligated to leave a tip because the restaurant pays them less because they are expecting a tip. This is backwards thinking that can be equated to "The company does A because they expect the customer to do B, the customer does B because they expect the company to do A".

Today I had another realization about the tipping custom. Giving certain percents of the bill as a tip does not reflect the compensation the waiter deserves. Does the waiter at the restaurant that charges $3 for a bowl of soup deserve a smaller tip than at the restaurant that charges $20. Tips shouldn't be based on a percent of the bill if you want to be fair. A waiter can work their ass off for you at the cheap restaurant and be a lazy fuck at the super posh over priced restaurant. Instead I propose that if you feel obligated to leave a tip you should base it on the number of people in your party. Perhaps one dollar per person and you can raise or lower that if you want based on how good of a job the waiter did.

Don't get me wrong if a waiter does a really good job and goes out of their way they should get a tip. But if the waiter does the bare minimum and ignores you half the time then I shouldn't be obligated to leave them a good tip.

No comments:

Post a Comment