Monday, March 29, 2010

Society of Now

We live in a society of instant gratification and impatience. We all want the youtube video to download faster and things we want done to be done yesterday. But that's not the worst part of it. We live in a society of right now but when I get there. It is becoming so acceptable to show up late.

Why do I say that? Go to a movie, at the local movie theater they actually have a screen that pops up saying "We;re proud to say we don't show commercials after the listed show time, now enjoy these previews of coming attractions"... They start the previews at the time the movie is listed to begin... this makes it perfectly acceptable to show up to the movie late and try to find a seat in the dark. I remember as a child you had to show up to the movies 15 minutes early to find a seat and see the previews. If you showed up a minute late for the movie you missed a minute of the movie.

It is a sign of disrespect to show up late. If you tell me you are going to show up at 5 pm and you don't get there until 5:15 you have shown me that you don't respect me enough to show up on time. If you are going to be more than a few minutes late for a get together it is polite to call and let the person know. I always do my best to show up on time because I know how much I hate to be left waiting. Fashionably late only works at large parties and that is still rude.

In the world of instant gratification there still needs to be respect for others.

No comments:

Post a Comment